The Geneseo Public Library District provides materials and services to help library district residents of all ages obtain information for personal, educational, recreational and cultural needs. The Library provides timely access to a variety of current popular materials. The library emphasizes the pursuit of lifelong learning, promotes the enjoyment of reading in youth and provides outreach services.
To obtain a library card from the Geneseo Public Library District you must live in the library district and bring to the library two of the following forms of acceptable identification in order to validate and receive your library card:
Two of the following forms will be acceptable:
- Current Illinois Driver’s license
- Current Student ID
- Illinois State ID
- Current Voter's Registration Card
- Utility bill
- Current Geneseo Public Library District card of another family member residing with you. The family member must be with you and have his/her card in hand to be used as ID.
- Current lease, mortgage papers, or rent receipt that officially state the property address (no hand written receipts).
- Property tax receipt
- Illinois Department of Public Aid medical card
- Bank Statement (printed personal checks are not acceptable).
- Automobile Registration
- Gun permit
- Selective Service Card
- Blood donor card
- Car insurance card (if it has address information).
- Current piece of mail addressed to you that has a postmark dated within the last 30 days
Each family member applying for a card must be present to have his/her own card validated. In order to validate a library card (if younger than 16 years), both the parent/legal guardian and the person applying for the card must be present. The parent/guardian must show acceptable address verification. The parent/guardian must also sign for the card, accepting responsibility for any items checked out of fines accrued on the applicant card. The applicant must be five (5) years of age or older to apply for a card.
- Patrons must have a valid library card to check-out and have it with them when they check items out.
- Any resident in the Geneseo Library District is entitled to a free card. Children must be five years of age. Out of district cards are available at a charge of $101.00
- Anyone holding a valid Illinois library card may check out any available item. This also includes anyone holding a valid library card from any library that is a member of RAILS (Reaching Across Illinois Library System).
- Items available for checkout: Books, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, digi books, books on CD, music CDs.
- Books (paperbacks, magazines and other related material) are available for a 3 week checkout period. New adult books are available for one week only. Material is renewable once unless on reserve. Fines are $0.10 per day, per item (excluding Sundays and holidays).
- Videos and DVDs are available for a 1 week checkout period. There is no usage charge and may be renew once unless on reserve. Fines include 10 cents per title, per day, late fee.
- Recordings include CDs, talking books and other like/related materials are available for a 3 week checkout period and are renewable once unless on reserve. Fines are $0.10 per day, per item